What is a Slice of Life 8:54 AM



When I entered this challenge last year, I had to try writing and thinking in a very different way than anything I had experienced before. I have to admit that sometimes, but not often, it proved quite challenging. I loved it. I found myself trying different styles and considering life a bit differently.


This year is proving to be a bit more challenging. My daughter is older, our life is a bit more settled in some ways and a bit less settled in others, and there are only so many times I can write about my delight in the changing weather!


This morning, when I sat to type my slice for today, the meaning of each slice kind of hit me.


These are little pieces of my life – the pieces that I might not remember in a week or a month or a year, but they are each gems that are now captured with words.


Life isn’t about the momentous occasions or the high profile memorable moments – it is about the simple, the every day, the little slices that fill each day and make it complete.


This was my realization as I sat trying to recall the little wake up song my daughter and I shared this morning.


I sang a line asking her to wake up while believing she was half asleep.


To my surprise, she sang an impromptu line back explaining that she was awake and cold…


I didn’t capture the words, but the exchange was a delightful surprise as our creativity gelled for two minutes in melodic morning harmony.


It was a slice of life – a moment of the everyday happenings that are often misplaced or set aside as a result of the business of our lives.


Thank you Slice of Life… for helping me to note and appreciate the tiniest and simplest gems… for in the end, it is, perhaps, all about the little things…


2 Thoughts:

Lennye said...

I agree. Writing down my thoughts on any given day help to paint a clearer picture of where my life is at the moment.

Thinking Aloud said...

I agree with this line.
"It was a slice of life – a moment of the everyday happenings that are often misplaced or set aside as a result of the business of our lives."

I write so that I won't forget. My kids are getting older and more demanding as well so I can relate.