The Return of "When Papa Snores" 8:20 AM

When S was quite small I found a book called "When Papa Snores" by Melinda Long. Without reading the book, I bought it. I found it perfect as my dad is "papa" and he can definitely snore!

This soon became the book that S and Papa would read together. Every trip and every visit required a reading of "When Papa Snores" by papa. I think that Nonna tried to read it once, S ended up doing the snoring sounds, as I recall?

A few years ago (when S was 5 I think) the book disappeared. We took a road trip with Nonna and Papa. We all remember Papa and S reading the book in the hotel; but, that is the last time we remember having the book. After a search of my house (not an easy task), I asked Nonna to check at their house and ask my SIL if it has accidentally been placed in a box for them. We did not find the book.

I then ventured online to see if I could find the book. Of course, it is out of print. At that time, a used copy, if you could find one, was selling for over $400! Needless-to-say, the book was not going to be replaced. But I was not ready to give up. Nonna suggested that I contact the author, which I did. Ms Long was quite nice. Apparently she has received several requests for the book, but there wasn't a publisher wanting to reprint the book at that time.

A week ago I decided to look again as I was looking for another old book currently not in print. (Those old books are sometimes hard to find!) Wow, there was "When Papa Snores", under $100, and I could get a "new" copy, and signed by the author! I jumped on that opportunity!

The book arrived yesterday. It was in wonderful condition. I, for one, was happy to see it, as was the wee lass. When we finally got home, she sat down and read it. Last night she and Papa read it together. It is, once again, a member of the family! Now, however, it will be one of those objects that is kept under close supervision whenever it ventures out of the house.

I grew up reading books with my grandparents. As an adult, I have sought those books so that I could share them with my daughter and nephews. Unfortunately, they are not so easy to find. I used to read a knock knock joke book with my grandpa (my Papa). The book is long gone, and I don't know the title. I remember reading and loving "Junket" with Tutu, again, the book is out of print and difficult to find. As I type, I can recall titles of books that have been read during this or that time in my life; I suppose my life is paved with a series of good and not so great but equally loved books.

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decoratingconsists mostly of building enough bookshelves. (1993) ~ Anna Quindlen ~

When I look back, I am so impressed again with the life-giving power of literature. If I were a young person today, trying to gain a sense of myself in the world, I would do that again by reading,just as I did when I was young.
~ Maya Angelou ~

0 Thoughts: