Tooth Fairy Rule #2 1:53 PM

The drawer opened.

I heard a small hand rummaging through its contents.                               

Little containers opened and closed.

“What are you doing?” I asked my 9 year old who appeared to be madly searching for…something.

“The tooth fairy didn’t come.”

“You lost a tooth?”

“Yes.”

“When?”

“Last night about 6:00.”

“You didn’t say anything about it last night.  “I was stunned.  She always advertises the loss of a tooth.  This, being her last tooth to loose, was a big event for her and yet, she had said nothing.  She pulled it and said nothing. 

“You know,” I told her, “the tooth fairy might not have known you lost your tooth.  You didn’t exactly follow the tooth fairy rules.  The tooth fairy doesn’t always know when a child looses a tooth; therefore, it is important for the child to announce to everyone the loss of the tooth.  This proclamation ensures that the toot fairy hears about the loss and adds the child’s name to the list.”

“I have something to tell you, Mamma.  When I lost my last tooth, I woke when you woke.  I tried to go back to sleep but my eyes opened.  I saw a shadow by the tooth box.”

“Sometimes Sweetie, the tooth fairy needs a little help.”

“It’s okay.  I still believe.” And off my baby went down stairs in hopes that the tooth fairy would, as has happened in the past, deliver her treat when she wasn’t looking.

2 Thoughts:

Unknown said...

Awww! What a super Slice!

Lynnelle said...

I love this Slice!